WHAT IS SINUSITIS ?
Sinuses are air filled cavities in bones of skull located around the nose and eyes and are commonly called as Para-nasal Sinuses. There are 4 pair of Para-nasal sinuses in human beings and are named according to the location or the bone in which they are present, they are 1) Frontal sinuses 2) Maxillary sinuses 3) Ethmoid sinuses and 4) Sphenoid sinuses.
When these Sinuses are inflamed due to an infection or an allergic reaction it leads to Sinusitis. Maxillary sinuses are the most commonly effected sinuses.
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF SINUSITIS ?
Depending upon the duration of the inflammation of sinuses they are classified into 4types. 1) Acute Sinusitis 2) Sub-Acute Sinusitis 3) Chronic Sinusitis and 4) Recurrent Sinusitis.
Improperly treated Acute and Sub-Acute sinusitis may progress to chronic sinusitis. If sinusitis is due to allergy, it will be generally recurrent and will come back after an exposure to allergens.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF SINUSITIS ?
Sinusitis is caused by number of factors. Some are called predisposing factors and some are triggering factors.
These factors makes the individual more prone to get sinusitis.
- One of the most commonly seen factor is DNS ( Deviated nasal septum ).
- Polyp or Tumors in nose
- Enlarged Adenoids and Tonsils
- Dental Problems ( cavities and decayed tooth etc )
- Chronic exposure to smoke, dust, pollutants and other chemical substances.
- Weak Immunity ( due to Diseases like HIV/AIDS or those persons under Chemotherapy, or Persons using Immune-Suppressive Drugs after organ Transplantation. )
If a person has any of the above mentioned predisposing factors, a triggering factor can stimulate the biological mechanisms that cause Sinusitis. Some of most common triggering factors are:
- Infection due to a bacteria or virus, Sinusitis is most commonly caused by bacteria or a virus which cause common cold. Viruses are most common cause of acute Sinusitis where as Bacteria is the most common cause of Sub acute and Chronic sinusitis.
- Fungal Infection is not a common cause of Sinusitis, but in persons with Weak immunity or persons with compromised immune system have increased chances of having Sinusitis due to fungal infection.
- Allergic reaction a person predisposed to allergies or sensitive to a allergen may have acute inflammation of Sinuses when ever exposed to allergen ( substances that cause allergic reaction. )
- Deep Sea Diving and Scuba Diving.
- Inhalation of chemical substances and irritants.
Sinusitis is rarely caused by other systemic disease such as Cystic Fibrosis, Granulomatosis etc
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF SINUSITIS ?
Symptoms of Sinus may vary according to Severity of sinusitis and location of sinuses involved. Although all the symptoms may not be seen in the same individual, yet Symptoms play a important role in diagnosis of sinusitis.
- Runny Nose and Nasal discharge can be thick or thin and can be yellowish or greenish.
- Obstructed / stuffed sensation in nose, blocked nose
- Post nasal Drip ( discharge from back of nose into the throat )
- Headache or sensation of pressure in Head
- Decreased sense of smell
- Halitosis ( Bad breath )
- Cough with expectoration ( Mucous )
- Occasionally Tooth pain, Ear Pain
- Sore throat or pain in region of affected sinus can be present ( Cheek pain if maxillary sinus is involved, pain above eye brows if Frontal sinuses are involved )
- General symptoms like Fever, Tiredness, Fatigue
HOW IS SINUSITIS DIAGNOSED ?
Sinusitis can be easily diagnosed by the history and symptoms given by the people. Clinical examination by doctor to elicit tenderness over the sinuses confirms the diagnosis. A Doctor can order common tests.
HOMEOPATHY TREATMENT FOR SINUS
Homeocare International has the Experience of Curing thousands of people with Sinusitis. Homeopathic treatment offer good results in people with acute and sub-acute sinusitis and prevent the progression of disease into chronic Sinusitis. In people with chronic sinusitis using Homeopathic Treatment will prevent the need of painful process and will control sinusitis. In people with Recurring Sinusitis, not only the frequency & severity of attack but sinusitis can be controlled. In people suffering with Allergic sinusitis, homeopathic treatment helps to boost the immune system so as to make the individual less prone to allergens and control the sinusitis.
The information above provided is for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace your Doctor’s or Expert’s opinion/advice.
Related Condition: Solutions for Asthma in Sinus people