Rapid changes in the eating habits, increased availability of high calorie food, sedentary life style, increased consumption of fast foods are considered to be the main reasons for raise in incidence of Diabetes. India is becoming the diabetic capital of the world, consumption of high carbohydrates and staple food being wheat or rice is predisposing Indians to diabetes. Rapid changes in life style, urbanization and decreased physical activity with increased mental activity is also triggering Diabetes. Controlling Diabetes problems is very important as untreated or uncontrolled diabetes can lead to complications which are lethal or will effect your quality of life.
What is Diabetes?
Diabetes Mellitus(DM) in simple terms means high level of sugars in due to failed glucose metabolism. All the cells in human body for energy require Glucose and requires Insulin hormone for glucose utilization. Insulin hormone is produced by beta cells situated in the endocrine part of the pancreas. Any disorder in this metabolic process or disease of the pancreas will lead to Diabetes disorders. Diabetes is a systemic disease and in long term will cause many complications and also lead to other dangerous diseases, so the basic knowledge about Diabetes is must.
As Diabetes is on a raise, knowing the causes of Diabetes is important. A single cause is not responsible for Diabetes but multiple causes/factors act together and trigger the mechanisms responsible for Diabetes. As there are numerous causes of Diabetes, they are divided into modifiable and non-modifiable factors.
Non modifiable risk factors are those factors which cannot be modified. They help us to identify risk of individual to develop Diabetes, they are factors like:
- Age above 65yrs
- Family history of Diabetes, a person with family history of diabetes is at more risk of developing Diabetes
- American Indians and Asians have high incidence of diabetes
Modifiable risk factors are all those factors which can be modified and their by reducing the risk of disease. Many refer to them as avoidable risk factors and are :
- Physical Inactivity
- High lipid profile
The above mentioned various causes and risk factors alone or together trigger the mechanisms that lead to diabetes. Two major mechanisms are:
- Reduced insulin secretion by the pancreas and /or
- Generally insulin helps body cells to utilize the glucose, but when ever cell resists the action of insulin it is called as Insulin Resistance, it is commonly seen in obese individuals and it leads to Diabetes.
The symptoms of Diabetes are:
What are the types of Diabetes?
The types of diabetes are :
- Diabetes type 1 : It is commonly seen in children and young adults. Is also called as Juvenile Diabetes. The cells which secrete insulin are located in the pancreas, if this cells stop sufficient production of insulin this leads to type 1 diabetes. Many mutation in genes have been identified as a cause of type 1 Diabetes. Only 5 % of all the diabetic cases are type 1.
- Diabetes type 2 : It is a major type of diabetes. Elderly people above 45 – 50 yrs age are more prone to this type of Diabetes. The most common underlying mechanism of type 2 Diabetes is insulin resistance and obesity. Initially in type 2 diabetes sufficient quantities of insulin is secreted but the cells doesn’t respond to the insulin and as the time progress the pancreas slowly starts to fail and will not be able to produce sufficient quantities of insulin and may require insulin supplementation.
- Gestational Diabetes: Around 5 to 10 percent of pregnant women develop glucose intolerance and high sugars levels, if this continues even after the 6th month of conceive they are diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes – is a minor type of Diabetes. Generally this type of Diabetes will become normal after the baby is delivered and does not require any treatment.
Is Diabetes really Dangerous? What are the Complications of Diabetes Mellitus?
Yes and No, If diabetes is under control and Regular medication along with good exercise and proper diet complications of diabetes can be avoided and will not be lethal. If sugar levels are not under control and remain elevated for a long time them diabetes effects almost all the organs of the body leading to dangerous complications such as:
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- Diabetic Neuropathy
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis
- Diabetic Foot
- Coronary artery disease
What are the do’s and don’ts for diabetes?
Always be consistent in your efforts and dietary practices to keep your sugar levels under control. Keeping sugar levels in optimal control is very important to avoid many long term complications and to live a good quality of life for a long time.
- Do Moderate physical activity for at-least 30 min a day.
- Do consume food rich in fibers such as whole grains, fresh vegetables.
- Do test your sugar levels tested regularly and follow doctors advice.
- Do take your medication regularly according to doctors advice and never skip medication.
- Avoid foods high in carbohydrates, replace those food with high quality carbohydrates with fiber.
- Avoid junk foods, processed foods and sweets, carbonated drinks.
- Avoid high calorie food, don’t consume large quantities of food in a single meal.
- Avoid smoking and don’t consume alcohol.
Homeopathy Approach for Diabetes:
Diabetes is a systemic disease and in long term effects almost all the important organs in human body, and keeping this disease in control is very important.
“We found solution to keep your Diabetes under control”
To treat this type of systemic diseases Constitutional treatment is required and Homeocare International offers constitutional Homeopathic treatment for Diabetes
and approaches every case in a holistic way and takes into consideration not only the symptoms of the disease but also the physical constitution and symptoms of the mind . This treatment at Homeocare not only aims to keep sugars under control but also aims to correct the root cause and stimulates the insulin secretion as well as promotes the insulin utilization by the cells. Homeopathy treatment will work along with the conventional treatment.
Diabetes treatment at Homeocare international also aims to improve over all health there by preventing the diabetic complications. Homeopathy treatment for Diabetes at Homeocare International is a ultimate choice as it does not have side effects and is very safe and highly effective.
The information above provided is for educational purposes only and it is not intended to replace your Doctor’s or Expert’s opinion/advice.
Related Condition: Solutions for Obesity in Diabetes Patients
From past 5 years I have been suffering from diabetes. I approached Homeocare International they provided good treatment.