What is Hyperthyroidism?
Hyper means over activity. Over activity of the thyroid gland is called as hyperthyroidism. The circulating thyroid hormones in body becomes more or excessive than sufficient and causes symptoms of hyperthyroidism.
What are The Types of Hyperthyroidism?
Hyperthyroidism is classified into 2 types based on the organ involved/ responsible for hyperthyroidism
Primary Hyperthyroidism :
Excessive thyroid hormones are produced Thyroid gland is at fault and is producing more than sufficient hormones, this type of hyperthyroidism is called as primary hyperthyroidism.
Secondary hyperthyroidism :
In Secondary Hyperthyroidism the defect is at the hypothalamus – pituitary axis and there is an excessive TSH production, which leads to increased stimulation of the thyroid gland and in-turn leads to increased production of T3 and T4 and leads to hyperthyroidism.
What are the causes of Hyperthyroidism?
Some common causes of hyperthyroidism are:
- Graves’ Disease: The most common cause of hyperthyroidism is Graves disease, an autoimmune disease, leading to excessive production of thyroid hormones.
- Functioning adenoma (“hot nodule”) and Toxic MultiNodular Goiter (TMNG): small growths in the thyroid gland are called as nodules, if these growths are many in number it is called as multi nodular goiter. And can be responsible for excessive secretion of thyroid hormones.
- Abnormal secretion of TSH: a tumor in pituitary secretes excessive amounts of TSH, which stimulates the thyroid gland to secrete more thyroid hormones leading to Hyperthyroidism.
- Thyroiditis (inflammation of the thyroid gland): inflammation of the thyroid gland leads to increased production of thyroid hormones leading to Hyperthyroidism.
- Excessive intake of thyroid hormone supplements is a rare cause of Hyperthyroidism. If a patient of hypothyroidism who is not under regular follow up by a physician and continue to take the same dosage of supplement may be taking excessive amounts of thyroid hormone than required which causes Hyperthyroidism.
- Excessive Iodine intake: although a rare case, ingestion of excessive iodine can lead to excessive production of thyroid hormones leading to hyperthyroidism.
What are the symptoms of Hyperthyroidism?
- Unexplained changes in Weight.
- Anxiety – Nervousness; and feeling agitated and increased irritability.
- Intolerance to heat and feeling very hot.
- Increased Appetite.
- Exophthalmos – (external protrusion of the eyeball) especially in graves disease.
- Increased/ frequent or loose bowel movements.
- Hand Tremor.
- Palpitation – Rapid or irregular heart beat.
- Excessive sweating
- Weakness, Fatigue or tired feeling.
- Decreased concentration.
- In women: menses (periods) may be Irregular and can have scant menstrual flow.
All the symptoms mentioned may or may not be present in every person with hyperthyroidism, and the intensity of the symptoms varies from person to person and many a times may depend upon the severity of the disease.
What are the lab tests to detect Hyperthyroidism?
- Diagnosis of Hyperthyroidism is mainly based on the results of thyroid hormone levels in the body. Generally Thyroid hormone (T3 and T4) levels in the body can be elevated or normal and Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) level in the body is below normal in hyperthyroidism.
- Anti TPO antibodies, anti-TSH-receptor antibodies testing is done to diagnose Graves disease and Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis.
- If a nodule or infiltrative disease is suspected to be the cause of hyperthyroidism, an ultra sonography of the thyroid gland is performed. And a biopsy or needle biopsy is done to rule out cancer.
- Iodine uptake scan is performed to check for iodine uptake by the thyroid gland, which is generally elevated in hyperthyroidism.
Homeopathy Treatment of Hyperthyroidism :
As previously explained hyperthyroidism many a times result from Graves disease or from Thyroiditis which are caused due to imbalances in the immune system and are autoimmune diseases. Homeocare International offers the good way to treat an autoimmune disease by correcting the imbalances in the Immune System, Homeocare International’s unique “Hormone cell”is stared to improve the quality and success in treating all hormone related diseases.
At Homeocare International by following the Constitutional Homeopathy method the person suffering with Hyperthyroidism is studied in all the aspects and treated so that the immune system is brought back to a balanced state and the root cause of Hyperthyroidism is treated there by curing the Hyperthyroidism.
Patient feed back and studies show that many patients with hyperthyroidism due to Graves disease and Thyroiditis showed good improvement in the quality of life and were controlled with considerable success.
The information above provided is for educational purposes only and it is not intended to replace your Doctor’s or Expert’s opinion/advice.